Sunday, 27 August 2017

Silver Crow Project - The Collage

Well, Hello Again

I come bearing arty stuffs as well! No, I have not just been sat on my tush scrolling through Instagram, eating chocolate and watching NCIS back to back. That's only some of the time.

Do you recall that I have to get eight pieces done for a pop-up exhibition before I enrol at uni? Well, I have definitely settled on the theme of Silver Crow. I tried to go all graffiti/street art at first - don't get excited - that didn't work, I just got high spray painting my workshop shelves a Barbie-esque pink and green. Seriously. #procrastination-win I'm going to revisit street art later. When I've recovered from the horror.

So I've started with something I struggle with equally as much... *insert doom laden voice here*  ...COLLAGE. Don't get me wrong, I adore collage. When other people do it. Me, not so much. I can't keep the page clean, I get gluey prints all over the place, stick stuff down then realise I should have stuck something else first - ack it's just a shambles. Let's face it. I'm Grunge with a capital G. So lets embrace that. Lets chuck some paint at this collage before we even start. Take away that "I'm going to screw this up with my grubby hands" fear.

I used some of my grey spray paints and a rather gorgeous 'Rose Fluorescent' paint from Pebeo. That's better. 
Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing - The Silver Crow Project - A grungy collage process
I went for a jackdaw in flight as my first image - whenever I see Silver Crow she is more often than not in flight or just taking off. The text I've used is from a dictionary sourced from the Plundered Pages pack I bought. It actually has mention of a White Crow in it. Had to get that in there.

This is how the final collage looks. It's hard to get a good photo of  - she's outlined in silver pen, not white. So her wings sparkle and shine. I'm not totally sure she's finished but I've moved on to the next one as time is short now. I am going to check over them all at the end with fresh eyes. See if anything leaps out at me.
Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing - The Silver Crow Project - A grungy collage
Whoopidooings: Carmen Wing - The Silver Crow Project - A grungy collage

For a collage fearing newb - I'm actually really pleased. Lesson learnt - Embrace the Grunge Monster. Work with, not against. It's not going anywhere - I've finally realised it's part of my style! I know - a lot of you could have told me that years ago. My muse - we'll have to think of a name. 

I'll be back soon with Silver Crow number 2! 
Thanks for stopping by today :)

3 comments:

  1. I love it! the bright pink is LUSH!! Doesn't seem like you need too much encouragement, but in case you're putting on a brave face (lol!) Come on Carmen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me to well Helen! Blagging it till I own it!

      Delete
  2. This is brilliant Carmen, I love everything about it!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete

"Say your right words" the goblins said...